Sunday, June 5, 2011

Member Connect

Member Connect is a neat feature on the Ancestry site that allows a person to connect with other Ancestry members doing research on the same family member.

Now, as I've said before, Ancestry, in many instances, is suspect at best because most people don't take the time to verify the information they're linking to on the site.

I do. So . . . my trees are as accurate as I can make them, based on information from family records and the Internet.

But . . . back to Member Connect. What I've been able to do using Member Connect is verify dates of birth/death for relatives on the many branches outside the direct descent of the family tree.

My grandfather was one of 10 children. I've gone in, with information provided by my uncle, and added the marriages/children of all his siblings. Trust me, lengthy task when you're talking about a Catholic family.

But . . . in some instances, I didn't have dates of birth/death for spouses, or dates of birth for the children.

I have been able to find this information by using Member Connect on the Ancestry site. Woo-hoo!

It's nice to have actual dates of birth/death versus blank spaces, and to have the information regarding where they were born/died.

So, if you hit a stumbling block in your research, check out the Member Connect option. You just might find the information you're looking for!

Have fun as you dance with the ancestors!!

S

No comments:

Post a Comment