Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Halterman Branch

As I've mentioned before, when dancing with the ancestors, you've to consider variations in spelling. With the Halterman name, I've come across quite a few variations: Halterman, Hatterman, Holderman, Holtman, Holtzman, Hallerman, Haldemand, Haldemann, Haldeman, Haldiman, and a few others. This makes research a wee bit more difficult, but . . . 

. . . this post isn't about research methods, or name variations, it's about the Halterman branch of my very extensive family tree. 

From everything I've found so far, the Haldeman (Halterman, etc.) family traces its ancestry back to Switzerland. Oh, and depending on the spelling, the name is Swiss or German. The reason for this, from what I've discovered, is that the area the family is from is right across the German border.

My 5 x paternal great-grandfather Jacob Haldeman is as far back as I've reliably traced. He is possibly the son of Peter Haldeman, and the grandson of Gaspard Haldimand (or, the German name, Caspar Haldeman). There are four theories out there about his parentage, none proven, three of which lists Peter as his father, two of which lists Gaspar as Jacob's grandfather, one of which lists a Hans Holderman as his father, and, well, I'm sure you see my dilemma at attempting to nail down a father for Jacob. So, rather than put multiple potential father's out there for Jacob, I'm just starting with him, even though the collective theory has him as the grandson of Gaspar Haldimand.

Oh, and Jacob allegedly has a brother named Christian, and potentially a third brother. As you'll see by naming patterns, this family used the same names over and over and over again. Oy!

Jacob Haldeman was born in Neufchatel Canton, Switzerland on October 7, 1722. He died in Rapho, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania on December 31, 1784.

Tombstone - Jacob Haldeman

Jacob married Maria Miller (b. December 3, 1727, in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. September 9, 1800 in Rapho, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania), daughter of Henry Miller and Barbara Herr, about 1742. They had the following children . . .
  • Christian Haldeman  - b. about 1745 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; died about 1804 in Shenandoah, Virginia.
  • Jacob Haldeman - b. about 1747 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; died December 1790 in Augusta (now Rockingham) County, Virginia.
  • Barbara Haldeman - b. about 1749 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. July 12, 1796 in Franklin County, Pennsylvania.
  • John Haldeman - b. June 2, 1753 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. May 19, 1832 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
  • Maria Haldeman - b. about 1755 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. about 1814 in Shenandoah, Virginia.
  • Abraham Haldeman - b. about 1757 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. about 1798 in Elk Lick Township, Somerset County, Pennsylvania. 
  • Elizabeth Haldeman - b. May 12, 1759 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. about 1814 in Shenandoah, Virginia.
  • Veronica (Fronia) Haldeman - b. November 30, 1762 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. April 22, 1842 in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania.
  • Magdalena Haldeman - b. January 28, 1764 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. January 28, 1809 unknown.
  • Anna Rose Haldeman - b. about 1764, possible twin to Magdalena, or mother got pregnant very quickly; d. August 5, 1829 in Allegheny County, Maryland.
  • Peter Haldeman - b. about 1765 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. about 1790 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
  • Susanna Haldeman - b. about 1769 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; d. unknown.
Last Will and Testament of Jacob Haldeman


In the Name of God Amen

The Twelfth Day of February in the year of our Lord One thousand Seven hundred and Eighty three. I Jacob Haldeman of Repho Township in the County of Lancaster in Pennsylvania Farmer, being old and weak of Body, but of sound and disposing Mind Memory and Understanding, calling to Mind the uncertainty of human Life and that it is ordered for all Men once to die I therefore make this my Last Will and Testament, recommending my immortal Spirit into the Hands of Immortal God who gave it and my Body to the Earth from whence it came in Hopes of a glorious Resurrection and an happy Admission into the Regions of Bliss and Immortality through the Merits of Jesus Christ my Redeemer. And as to my Worldly Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me I give devise and Bequeath the same in the Manner following (that is to say)

First I order and direct that all my just Debts & Funeral Expences be paid and discharged out of my Estate by my Executors as soon as conveniently may be after my Decease

Item I give and bequeth unto my beloved Wife Maria my Bed and Bed Stead with all the Furniture thereto belonging standing in my Bed Chamber together also with one third Part of all my Personal Estate.

Item it is Will that my said Wife shall and may possess and carrrey on the Husbandry with my Children on this my Plantation as well as she can for and during the Time until my youngest Son Peter attains the age of Twenty one years.

Item I give and bequeth unto my son Abraham and to his Heirs and Assigns for ever One hundred and Fifty three acres and the Allowance of the Plantation or Land I now live on situate in Rapho Township which One hundred and Fifty three acres and allowance of Land my Son Abraham lives with the Buildings and Appartenanies thereunto belonging which said Tract of Land I give unto my said Son Abraham his Heirs and Assigns for ever, but subject to the Payment of such Sum of Money as the same shall be appraised at by four trusty Men appointed by my hereafter named Executors impowering the said appointed Appraisers to set and regulate the yearly Payments of said Valuation Money and my Plantation and Trait of Land so devided as aforesaid then I order and it is my Will that my said Wife shall possess and carry on the Hosbandry, with the Rest of my Children on the other Part or Remainder of my Land for and during the Time until my son Peter attains the full age of Twenty one years. And then I give and bequeath unto my said Son Peter his Heirs and Assigns for ever the other Part of my Plantation or Tract of Land where I now live containing One hundred and Eighty eight Acres be the same more or less. To be holden by him the said Peter Haldiman his Heirs and Assigns for ever. But subject to the Payments of such Sum of Money for the same as the said Tract of Land shall be valued and appraised by four trusty Persons appointed by my hereafter named Executors, and the said appointed Men shall also set and regulate the yearly Payments of the said Valuation Money.

Item it is my Will that if my Wife should not be inclined to carrey on the said Husbandry on my said Plantation in Manner aforesaid and for and during the Time until my said Son Peter attains his age as aforesaid then I order and direct that my Executors shall let and demise this my Plantation upon yearly Rent as well as they can until my Son Peter attains his age as aforesaid and then it is my further Will that my said Wife shall live and dwell in the House which I lately built in my yard with a Right to the Cellar under it as much as she has Ocation for for and during her natrial Life and my Executors shall deliver unto my said Wife during the Time until my Son Peter attains his age as aforesaid, and when my said Son has attained his age then my said two Sons Abraham and Peter shall deliver yearly and every year unto my said Wife during her natural Life the following Artukls viz. Fifteen Bushels Wheate, Ten Bushels of Rey, Five Bushels of Oats, a falled Hog to weigh at least One hundred Pounds, Sixty pounds of fat Beef, one Bushel and a half of Salt, Two pairs of new Shoes, Twenty five pounds of hackled Hemp with the Tow, Six pounds Woll, Apples, Peaches and other Fruite as much as she has Need for cooking and drying or any other wise. Two Barrels of Cyder, Five Gallons of Liequor, Four Perches of Land in the Cabage Garden, Fierwood delivered to her House as much as she has use for, and cut the same fine, and keep a Cow for her use in Foder in Winter and Summer, also give her a Horse to ride when she pleases. And it is my Will and I do hereby declare that the several Artickles, Things, Priviledges and Premises herein before given and bequeathed to my said Wife are and shall be deemed and taken to be in full and for and in Sum and Satisfaction of her Dower or Thirds and all Claims and Demands of in to and out of my Estate Real and Personal.

Item all the Rest Reside and Remainder of my Estate not herein before particklwarly given and bequithed including the said Valuation Moneys for the Lands for the Lands herein given to my two Sons Abraham and Peter and all Moneys which remains in the Hands of my Executors from the Rent or Saile of any of my Estate.

Itm I do give and devise and bequeth unto my twelve Children Christian, Jacob, Barbara, John, Maria, Abraham, Elizabeth, Fronia, Ann, Peter, Magdalena, and Susanna and to their Heirs and each of their Heirs and assigns for ever Share and Share alike, so that none of my Children shall have more than the other but be all equell Shares. And in Case of the Death of either of my Children under age unmarried and without Issue I do give and devise the Part and Share of the one so dying, to be equally divided to and between the Survivors of them their Heirs Executors Administrators.

Item it is my further Will is that in Case either of my Children has already received of me in Money or Goods more than the other then such Child or Children shall refund the same to my Estate.

Item it is my Will and I do hereby order and direct that my Son in Law Samuel Stouffer shall have no Right or Title to demand an Estate in Right of his Wife Elizabeth in any respect whatsoever in my Estate, but my Daughter shall do with the same as she shall think proper.

Item it is my further ill that my son Abraham shall have the Water for the Watering of the Meadow three Days in every Week, and my son Peter shall have the Water four Days in every Week for the Watering of his Meadow. It is my Will that the Dames on my said Son Abraham’s Land that my Son Peter and my said Son Abraham shall keep the same in sufficient Repair for the Watering of their Meadows together. And it is my Will that my Son Peter shall have the Priviledge from the upper Dam on said Abraham’s Land till it extends to the said Peter’s Land for to dig a Race six Feet broad and as deep as he thinks proper and to throw the Durt on Clay on each Side of the said Race without the Objections of him the said Abraham or any other Persons whatsoever and allow to, keep the same clean.

And lastly I do hereby nominate constitute and appoint my beloved Sons John & Jacob sole Executors of this my Last Will and Testament impowering them or the Survivor of them to give and execute proper Deeds or Titles to my said Sons Abraham and Peter for the Lands herein to them bequeathed subject to the Estate before given to my said Wife in the same during her Life, hereby declaring this and no other to be my Last Will and Testament.

In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my; Hand & Seal the Day and Year aforesaid.

Signed sealed published and declared by the Testator as his Last Will & Testament in the Presence of us Witnesses thereto called by him. John Shelhorn. (Signature) Christian Shelly (Signature) Jost X Brand (Signature)

Jacob Haldeman (Signature ) Seal


Lancaster County, ss. The Sixth Day of June in the Year of our Lord One thousand Seven hundred and Eighty three before me the Subscriber personally appeared John Shelhorn, Christian Shelly, and Jost Brand the Witnesses to the within Will, and on their Solemn Affirmation according to Law respectively did severally declare and say that they were present and saw and heard Jacob Haldeman the Testator within named sign seal publish pronounce and declare the within Writing as and for his Last Will and Testament, and that at the Time of the doing thereof he was of sound and disposing Mind Memory and Understanding to the best of their Knowledge Observation and Belief.

John Houbley Reg (Signature)


Be it remembered that on the Sixth Day of June in the year of our Lord One thousand Seven hundred and Eighty three, the Last Will and Testament of Jacob Haldeman late of Lancaster County yeoman deceased was proved in due Form of Law and Sitters Testamentary thereon were granted to John Haldeman and Jacob Haldeman the Executors therein named they being first duly qualified well and truly to administer the Estate of the said Deceased, and especially to exhibit a perfect Inventory thereof into the Register’s Office at Lancaster on or before the Sixth Day of July next, and to render a just account of their Administration on the said Estate in one year or when thereto lawfully required. Given under the Seal of the said Office.

John Houbley Reg (Signature)

Last Will and Testament found here:

http://www.genealogy.com/users/s/h/u/Jason-Shuff-PA/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0203.html

The above last will and testament confirms the children of Jacob Haldeman. On another note, the naming pattern - Christian, Jacob, Abraham, Barbara, Peter, John - continues with most of his children using those same names, as well as his alleged brother Christian using those names as well.

Christian Haldeman married Eve (allegedly Bradigan) (b. 1750; d. 1809). They had the following children, as named in court documents following Christian dying intestate, . . . 
  • Christian Haldeman
  • Elizabeth Haldeman
  • Henry Haldeman
  • Jacob Haldeman
  • Magdalene Haldeman
  • Mary Haldeman
  • Peter Haldeman
  • Abraham Haldeman
  • Eve Haldeman
  • Barbara Haldeman
  • John Halterman - b. about 1791 in Virginia; d. after 1850 in White County, Tennessee
The Shenandoah Deeds Vol O and Q, also Shenandoah Will and Inventories Book F 1802-1807 The will in the book shows an account of Christian Halterman's estate.His wife and children are listed.Book O, p 454 - 7 Oct 1805

Between Christian Haltiman and _____ his wife, Jacob Haltiman and _______ his wife of Lancaster County in State of Pennsylvania, George Grandstaff junr. and Barbara his wife, Abraham Haltiman and Sarah his wife, David Ross and Mary his wife, Jacob Graibill jun. and Eve his wife, Henry Haltiman and Peggy his wife, Adam Clem and Magdalene his wife, Elizabeth Haltiman, John Haltiman & PETER Haltiman all of the State of Virginia [to] Henry Walter junr. of Shenandoah County ... consideration of ______ current money to each ... parcel of land containing seventy six acres ... lying & being in Powels big fort ... being granted to Christian Haltiman (now deceased) by Patent the 4th Oct 1800 ... the said Christian Haltiman departed this life Intestate and the tract of land descended to all his children ... Corner to Jacob Copperstone and Philip Munch ...Corner to George Hawn's late survey... Wit: none Jacob HaltermanGeorge (X) Grandstaff
Al so Bk Q, p396 - 9 Jan 1809 - more of the same and also lists Eve Haltiman as widow and relict of Christian Haltiman relinquishing her dower rights at an Indenture of Bargain and Sale. 

The above deed information confirms the children of Christian Halterman (Haldiman, Haltiman, Holtman, whatever) and Eve (allegedly Bradigan). Some research sites I have found, do not list John Halterman, our ancestor, as a child of Christian and Eve, but this last will and testament does. Woo-hoo! It’s always nice to get that last bit of confirmation which verifies information.

John Halterman married Mary Ann Sevier (b. December 9, 1792 in Carter County, Tennessee; d. after 1850 in White County, Tennessee), daughter of Abraham Sevier (brother to John Sevier, first governor of TN) and Mary Little, on November 20, 1813 in White County, Tennessee. They had the following children . . .
  • Mary Halterman - b. about 1815 in White County, Tennessee; d. unknown.
  • Melvert Halterman (twin) - b. April 19, 1817 in White County, Tennessee; d. before 1870 in Warren County, Tennessee.
  • Melvina Halterman (twin) - b. April 19, 1817 in White County, Tennessee; d. December 7, 1880 in Quebeck, White County, Tennessee.
  • John Sevier Halterman - b. November 6, 1819 in White County, Tennessee; d. June 4, 1890 in White County, Tennessee.
  • Elizabeth Halterman - b. about 1825 in White County, Tennessee; d. July 1860 in Tennessee.
  • Jesse Marion Halterman - b. December 21, 1828 in White County, Tennessee; d. March 3, 1874 in Bedford County, Tennessee.
  • Adaline Halterman (twin) - b. July 26, 1836 in White County, Tennessee; d. after 1910 in Knox County, Tennessee.
  • Emaline Halterman (twin) - b. July 26, 1836 in White County, Tennessee; d. August 5, 1923 in Warren County, Tennessee.
Note: five of the Halterman siblings married children of Endymon Baker Lane and Jane Campbell.


Emaline Halterman married Hardin Smith Lane (b. March 26, 1833 in Van Buren County, Tennessee; d. December 31, 1862 at the Battle of Murphreesboro during the Civil War, Rutherford County, Tennessee), son of Endymon Baker Lane and Jane Campbell, on December 30, 1855 in Warren County, Tennessee. They had the following children . . .
  • Mary Lane - b. about 1857 in Warren County, Tennessee; d. February 12, 1945 in Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama.
  • Martha Ann Lane - b. August 22, 1858 in Warren County, Tennessee; d. May 16, 1945 in Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee.
  • Franklin Pierce Lane - b. October 10, 1860 in Warren County, Tennessee; d. November 6, 1932 in Warren County, Tennessee.
  • Hardin Smith Lane Jr. - b. March 1863 (after his father's death) in Warren County, Tennessee; d. January 4, 1949 in Muleshoe, Bailey County, Texas.
After her husband's death, Emaline went on with her life, raising her children as best she could. Later in life she lived with her daughter Mary and her family; she also lived with her son Franklin Pierce and his family.


Martha Ann Lane married John Leonard Smith (b. August 16, 1849 in Warren County, Tennessee; d. January 14, 1917 in Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee), son of John B. Smith and Rebecca Adcock on September 24, 1882 in Warren County, Tennessee. This was her first marriage, but John's second. He had seven children by his first wife Irena Gribble: Lucy, John B. (died young), Mollie, Francis Ida, M. J. (died young), Euphemia, and Herman (died young). Martha and John had the following children . . .
  • Olive Mae Smith - b. December 28, 1884 in McMinnville, Warren County, Tennessee; d. November 23, 1935 in Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee.
  • Octavia Smith - b. April 12, 1887 in McMinnville, Warren County, Tennessee; d. March 1984 in Hendersonville, Sumner County, Tennessee.
  • Eunice Irene Smith - b. February 20, 1889 in McMinnville, Warren County, Tennessee; d. August 18, 1890 in McMinnville, Warren County, Tennessee.
  • Osie Lee Smith - b. December 9., 1894 in McMinnville, Warren County, Tennessee; d. November 23, 1976 in Hendrsonville, Sumner County, Tennessee.
  • Clara Smith - b. February 28, 1898 in Tennessee; d. March 1968 in Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee.
My great Aunt Clara never married. She worked at the Watuaga Sanitarium (treatment of tuberculosis) and fell in love with a patient. They were engaged to be married when he succumbed to the tuberculosis). 

Osie Lee Smith married John Francis Mitchell (b. November 3, 1884 in Warren County, Tennessee; d. May 27, 1959 in Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee), son of Charles A. Mitchell and Martha Tate, on June 25, 1913 in Nashville, Warren County, Tennessee. They had the following children . . .
  • Mary Frances Mitchell - b. April 29, 1914 in Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee; d. August 23, 1996 in Hendersonville, Sumner County, Tennessee.
  • Vernon Smith Mitchell - b. January 21, 1916 in Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee; d. September 10, 2004 in Crossville, Cumberland County, Tennessee.
Osie Lee Smith

Octavia Smith

Both Mary Frances and Vernon married and had children. Mary Frances had two, and Vernon four. Their children had children, and some of their children had children, and thus the lineage continues, even if the Halterman name, at least for my branch of the tree, died out.











5 comments:

  1. Hello! Sorry if I"m late to the party. :-)

    My wife is a Halterman, and we seem to be stuck in tracing her line. We have a Michael Marshall Halterman/Halderman, born ca. 1815, in PA. And there, the line seems to stop. Do you have a Michael Marshall Halterman in your tree? We'd greatly appreciate the assist! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a quick search of my family tree and do not have a Michael Marshall Halterman listed. That doesn't mean he's not in my line, just that I haven't done the children of all the siblings of all my Halterman/Haldeman ancestors . . . yet. My Halterman line did come from PA.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was reading your Haldeman ancestry and must commend you on your organization. Any way you can put me in touch with Octothorpe who posted on July 14, 2013 as my g-g-g-grandfather is Michael Marshall Halterman and I can share information with them. Thanks!

    Laura Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura - all you can hope is Octothorp checks back and sees your comment. I don't have any other way of contacting people who leave comments unless they leave an email address. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am descended through Henry Halterman (1775-1845), son of Christian and have done an immense amount of research. I would be interested in corresponding/talking with you about this family. I am interested in finding a source that shows that the Christian Halterman in Shenandoah is indeed the son of Jacob Haldeman in Rapho, Lancaster, PA. Also, do you have any documentation showing your John as a son of Christian other than the probate deed records in Shen, VA that list a John Halterman as a son. There are a couple of other Halterman families in the area that have duplicate names as this Halterman family and I am not sure if they also had a John. Have you run a Y DNA on a Halterman male descended through John Halterman. My cousin did one a couple of years ago for the Halterman line through Henry.
    Thanks, Debbie Halterman Taylor

    ReplyDelete